Monday, May 24, 2010

Breakfast!


Feijoas, feijoas, and more feijoas!
Feijoas have always been one of my most favourite fruits and the most disappointing thing about them is that they are only available for about 6 weeks of the year, in April/May.
If you are anything like me you will know someone with a tree or two or even a hedge, and you can enjoy free feijoas to your hearts content. By the the end of the season though, there are bags and bags of feijoas arriving on your doorstep, and unless you bottle them they can quickly go off.
One of my favourite ways of enjoying them is freshly scooped out, on top of my cereal......mmmmyum. My mother-in-law used to bottle heaps of them in sugar syrup and they were especially nice on cereal that way.
Other ways to use feijoas:
Feijoa jam
Feijoa muffins
Feijoa cake
Feijoa crumble
Feijoa sauce
Feijoa salsa
Feijoa scones
Feijoa relish
What is your favourite way of eating feijoas?



3 comments:

  1. I put one in a smoothie last week, along with spinach, apple, pear and kiwifruit. it was SO good. whipped it in skin and all! YUMMO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! Feijoas are the one thing I miss most about living in Katikati! We used to go to one of the avocado orchards and get feijoas from their hedges (was a family member) - but I never thought of bottling them. I love feijoa and walnut cake with lots of lemon icing - mmm I don't know anyone with a feijoa tree near me and I refuse to pay $9kg at Countdown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. feijoa vodka? haha but i do love a good feijoa cake and the seeds go all crunchy! i remember shelley made the best!

    ReplyDelete